Monday, September 15, 2008

I Blog at the Laundromat (After Some Technical Difficulty)

I love blogging. There, I said it. I'm officially hooked. Furthermore, I love my Palm Centro cell phone extraordinaire. Finally, I love the laundromat. Now blogspot.com has allowed me to combine these great loves of mine in one blissful feat of technology. What could be sweeter?

Yes, I love the laundromat. It's like a sanctuary to me. Going to the laundromat means I've managed to fit three full hours of downtime into my stupid schedule. I love being hypnotized by the spinning machines, being soothed by the soft hum of the dryer and it tosses my clothes in a snuggly warm, Bounty-fresh embrace. I love folding my clothes while listening to Spanish telenovellas on TV. I feel at peace at the laundromat, like I'm finally starting to get my life in order.

Of course, three weeks later, I inevitably find myself once again out of clean underwear, work clothes tossed in a smelly heap on the floor after being worn to the absolute max, and helplessly trying to race home from work in time to get to the laundromat before it closes.

It's the circle of life. We eat, sleep, go to work, pay taxes and do our laundry.

I am transfixed by life's little routines. I want to create a series of theatrical performance installations that explore these routines. One will be set in an actual laundromat, real laundry-goers and audience members mingling, some there for art and some for function. The piece will focus on the different garments and cleansing methods of choice that each "performer" exhibits. One will be set in a grocery store, where "performers" shop alongside non-performers, audience members gathered in the aisles, or following the "performers" as they select items to add to their carts.

What can we tell about someone from their laundry? From their choice of groceries?

Time to go...the dryer's done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree I think there is something so comforting about the laundrymat. Also it feels very city to me to have to go to one.

The Cozy Herbivore said...

Sounds like a Fringe show to me.... let's do it next year!